Monday, October 3, 2011

Bill Brandt

All of these photographs were found from his book, Brandt The Photography Of  Bill Brandt. His book can be found in the DCAD library.

Bill Brandt's photography is one of my favorite works to look at. He's work is very diverse, ranging from landscapes, to the human figure. I chose this photograph because the scene is almost ironic. It seems so honest, as if life is always like that, but at the same time it comes of sarcastic, because its not a traditional way of seeing a family eating at the dinner table. I'm not sure how it relates to my work, but in the future I've always wanted to shoot families, and how each family lives a different way.


Brandt found it interesting how mirrors could distort whatever was in front of it. back then, mirrors could abstract the scene in ways that a camera or the human eye could never do. At the time when Brandt was doing this, he got a lot of negative feedback. People were not apposed to the idea of these women figures being distorted. Some of my favorite photographs from his work are the ones where he distorted the shapes of objects and people's bodies. I think its because it gives a dream-like feeling to the photograph. It relates to my work, because its experimental. It also directs me to where I've been wanting to go. I've always loved abstraction, and wanted to find new ways to abstract the human figure, and my surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment